Thursday, September 22, 2005

Ya'at'eh

We had a little social studies lesson on Southwest Indians of America today, so I dressed the part -- jeans, long sleeved plaid shirt, cowboy boots, and all the turquoise and silver jewelry I could reasonably wear. I felt tall all day! It was great...the kids enjoyed the new look of the old teacher, parents thought it was "creative", and several aides were openly envious. Probably because I wore blue jeans. That was worth the effort in itself! I used the overhead to show the kids some Navajo words, which they butchered. To top off the lesson, I hauled out our antique slide projector and showed the students pictures of Pueblo Bonito, Rehoboth, and the Gallup Intertribal Indian Ceremonial parade. All pre-1984, so no BJ in the pics!

It doesn't take much to arouse the curiosity of these kids. I take my coffee to school in a steel thermos. The kids didn't have a clue what that was! One boy asked if he could have some of my coffee, and I told him that he had to bring his own cup. He finally remembered today -- pulled out a cup wrapped in a sock from his back pack. I gave him a half cup which he sipped with dignity at his desk. It's OK; he's ADHD so a little caffeine is a good thing here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you have your post figured out and your comments back... Happy Friday Y'all!

Anonymous said...

U J might be my new title. Janna says that looking at someone's blog and not commenting is called lurking. So, I'll at least let you know I was here.
After reading about your Navajo lesson with the students butchering the Navajo words,Cindy and I must admit that Merisha is teaching us some Tagalog, and we are doing our best to not butcher. Easy word: yes = oo (pronounced oh oh) Hard word: pakikipagsapalaran = adventure. Thanks for letting us in on your world.