Monday, September 26, 2005

Incentives are a strange thing. Our local paper is full of incentives to buy products. The Saturday paper is positively fat with car advertisements promoting incentives to buy. I save the JoAnn Fabric incentives from the Sunday paper for Gayle.What incentives do you use to move you on through your days? I think that most of us have some way or another that we focus and push ourselves to get done what must be done. Are you a list maker or a bargainer? I’ve done both.I make a list of things to do and then when I’ve accomplished all of ‘em, I reward myself with some fun thing that I’ve been looking forward to doing. Other times I will say, “When I get through correcting this set of papers, then I’ll…” and fill in the blank with something chocolate. I use incentives to move my fifth graders. A 100 Point Party – points given for good behavior, special projects, and of course, M & M’s. It’s amazing how a little public recognition and a couple of M & M’s can lift the confidence and outlook of a student! I get incentives also. Last week a fifth grade boy said to me, “You really like teaching, don’t you?” He noticed! This is from a boy who spoke no English as a kindergartener, a boy who came to the USA as a refugee from Africa with his parents. And then I had the chance to tell him why – you can’t point kids down the pathway of life unless you know exactly where you are on that path. That as a child of the King, I know where I am, whose I am, and where I’m going. Way better than M & M’s!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I like lists, but my incentive is the satisfaction of checking something off. Call me easy to please, but I think it's a disease - sometimes I add things to the list that I've already done just so I can check them off!

Gayle and Rob said...

Well, Katie, you inherited that one from your mother. I do the same thing - all for the satisfaction of crossing them off.