Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Summer Project

I'm in the middle of a summer destruction / remodeling project. The tile in the shower area of our tub is 18 years old and tired. The former owners had moisture issues because the let the grout go. Problems have continued for us with mold in the grout; I've pulled out and replaced sections of grout several times. On Monday I began to rip out the tile and backer board. As with any home project, there were curve balls. I found three ant colonies in the wood; I guess they liked the damp wood. Terminix is coming tomorrow to dry out the wood with a dessicant, and we are now on an every three month cycle for pest treatment. I didn't anticipate the glass-like quality of the ceramic tile splinters -- I went through a bunch of band aids for finger cuts! I also broke one of the marble window sills while I was trying to clean the old mortar off the back, so I guess we'll get new sills. Good thing they're not expensive! Everything is back to the studs and I should have the backer board up by Saturday. Next week I'll get the new porcelain tile up. The old 4 inch tiles had a large curve on the bullnose edges. The tile setters had put 1/2 inch plywood under the backer to bump the whole project out. I plan to put the tiles flush with the wall.

No comments: