Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Project Mid-point

This has been an interesting project. I've been waking up in the middle of the night and thinking how best to do this or that with the tiling. One 3 AM inspiration solved my angled step problem that I had been wrestling with, so I guess it was worth the sleep interruption. I ended up buying a 14 inch tile scorer and cutter -- it's really accurate and for straight cuts, it saves loads of time. I still did a fair amount of trucking to the garage to use the wet saw for the little nibble work, but it's working. I got the front tiles cut and ready to set today, which is most of the fussy stuff. GB helped me set the tiles late this afternoon, so we're more than half done! I've been barking my shins on the top edge of the backer board just in front of the tub; it's sharp! Good thing we got the tile on it now. While I was working this afternoon, I had a visitor in the back yard. A young great blue heron was on patrol looking for lizards. I think he walked between my yard and the neighbor's for 2 hours, looking for lunch.




3 comments:

MLE said...

It's looking good! I really like the new tile color. And, um...I've found a couple of jobs for you when you come. I don't think they are hard, but they are things I haven't gotten around to yet -- including the door which I don't think I'll have time to tackle before you come. Sorry to put you to work. Good thing we'll spend three relaxing days at the campground! :)

Katie said...

Looks a lot better than the old pink stuff!

Gayle and Rob said...

Update on the great blue heron -- it was a juvenile and came back today. My neighbor found it sprawled out in a corner of his yard by the back wall...very un-birdlike. It's eye color was good, and the feathers were clean and well kept. It seemed really tired, like it had not had food in a while. We called Orange County Animal Services and they came out and gently caught the bird. They will take the heron to SeaWorld for care.