Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving Bonanza

I have a billbergia saundersii that I bought from Tropifloral over a year ago. I had a beautiful flower shortly after I bought it, and then I had two new pups form. Those two pups flowered this week. The bad news is that billbergias seem to flower for just a short time; good news is that they are spectacular! If you look closely you can see the two pink sheaths on the plant sides of the flowers.





I "hard cultured" the saundersii in my lattice house and it seemed to like it. Only problem was when I wanted to bring the plant inside, I had to flood out the frog living in the bottom of the plant vase! He wasn't too happy, but I think he got over it. I put my billbergia Hallelujah in the lattice house, which gave Mr. Frog a new home. I'm also hoping that the hard culture outside will get my Hallelujah in gear with a flower.


We also have two gift (that means I
don't know their names!)
orchids from students blooming in the house right now. Not bad, huh? Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Katie said...

What does "hard culture" mean?

Gayle and Rob said...

You leave the bromeliad outside as much as possible. The elements do their work on the leaves, roots, & whole system and bring out the color, mottling, etc. and give the plant a very different look from what it would be like if it had a cushy life inside the house.

bob said...

I can't wait to see them in a few weeks... I hope a few are still blooming!