Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bikes in October -- Festive!




Gayle spent today working on quilts with ten of her quilting friends. They were putting quilts together for Russell House, which provides care for atypical children. Biketoberfest was rolling in Daytona Beach this week-end, so I followed my curiosity and rode out to the coast. I stopped for a half hour at Daytona International Speedway. A bit of the parking lot was used by all the major bike manufacturers, who had demo bikes available to try out. They were also allowing you to take your demo ride around the Speedway. I didn't do that -- I'm content with my bike and I didn't want to spend the time waiting for my turn. Lots LOTS of people waiting to ride around the race track! I rode up A1A to Ormond Beach and then went up the Tomoka Park road for about 10 miles. It's a beautiful ride on a two lane road between rows and rows of Southern Live Oaks that arch over the road, like riding in a green tunnel. I stopped at the Bulow Oak, a really large Live Oak that dates back to the time of the Bulow Plantation, pre-Civil War era. I then caught I-95 back south to the huge Bruce Rossmeyer Harley showroom / J&P Cycles store...and much more! Many vendors willing to mount your new pipes or seat or you-name-it right there. Many tents set up to service bikes. And of course, food and more food. It was a short quarter mile from the Interstate to the stores, but it took me 10 minutes. I was in a long slow line of bikes, two by two, moving to a huge parking lot. There had to be a thousand bikes in the lots, with bikes coming and going all the time. I was impressed! Can you find my bike? It's there, front row, sixth bike down. This was just a small corner of the parking by J&P Cycles store.After taking in the scene for a while, I drove south to Hwy 40 and went west for about 20 miles to Barberville. In that 20 miles, there had to be about 200 to 300 bikes that went by, heading to Daytona. I stopped in Barberville at the kitchy statuary place -- they got rid of the 12 foot tall chicken! I stopped by the Big Tree Park south of Lake Mary -- good pictures of the Senator, one of the largest bald cypress trees in the world. It's 17.5 ft in diameter. Got home after 6.5 hrs and abou 175 miles. Beautiful day to ride. Fun time!










The Senator, all 50,000 board feet!




The trusty Kaw!

3 comments:

MLE said...

I envy your ability to get out and enjoy the fall. I would much rather be doing that than writing my research proposal for grad class! Will I get free Saturdays some day again?

B said...

Looks like fun, Dad! When are we gonna go riding? :)

Gayle and Rob said...

Yes, Em, you will get those days again. This is a busy season of life for you. One day at a time, girl...