Thursday, October 02, 2008

Cause and Effect

A couple of weeks ago GB and I went for an afternoon ride to the Orange County Convention Center to see the annual home show. We enjoyed a couple of hours walking around and checking out the displays. Lots of green energy conservation approaches to home ownership...and the cooking / food / knives / cookware venues. We did buy some arch supports for GB; she loves 'em! We also got a set of Egyptian cotton 400 thread count sheets (one fitted) with 4 pillow cases for $20. And we have an appointment with the Andersen window folks to see about a replacement slider for our great room. It was a hot afternoon and when we got home GB saw that she had melted the sole of her shoe on the muffler. The foot peg, which is right above the muffler, had been feeling warm for GB but this was too much. I ordered some passenger floorboards and installed them last night. I think they will do the trick, give GB comfort and more freedom of movement on the bike. And they look good! The same week-end I had gone on a 190 mile trip with Verne. He does the scoring for the Florida CMA Bible Quiz meets. The first one was at Dunellon - we rode up the Florida Turnpike to I-75, north 12 miles, and then west for about 20 miles. I had my E-Pass transponder tied to my handlebars but it didn't work. Hope I don't end up with a ticket for running through the toll booth. Turned out that the battery was low, so I got that fixed, but I wanted something that was a bit more convenient than shoestrings on the handlebars. I found a leather windshield bag that was reasonably priced and - amazingly - made in the good ol' USA. I installed that tonight. Both the floorboards and the leather bag were well made and had everything to easily install them. So now I have cooler feet for GB and a nice little place for my transponder, garage door opener, sunglasses, etc. I did have one weird thing while I was installing the floorboards. I had opened the locked door that hides the tool kit and must have done something to the key, because this morning when I was ready to go to school, I couldn't get the key to turn the ignition on. I had to call GB, who had just left, and she turned around, picked me up, and took me to school. I hustled home this afternoon and tried to get a replacement key for the bike, but the locksmith didn't have the proper blank. I asked him to try to straighten the key, which he did. Now it works again. Go figure! I think I will have a second key made however. Just in case...

2 comments:

Katie said...

Holy cow. 400 count sheet set for $20? I hope you bought a set for each of us for Christmas! ;)

I'm glad it was only mom's shoe and not her foot or leg. I remember leaning my calf against something hot on Alec's bike. It only happened once!

Gayle and Rob said...

Sorry Katie - we took the motorcycle to the Homeshow and didn't have room in the saddlebags to take sheets back for everyone.