Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Good Saturday

Gayle and I had busy days yesterday. Much of the day was down separate roads. Gayle stayed home and made cinnamon rolls, chocolate chips cookies, cleaned and rearranged the great room furniture. She needed more light when doing needlework in her chair! GB also did some shopping and put together some necessity bags for street people. We have a significant number of homeless around school and we are regularly asked by them for help. We do not like to give money to these unfortunates. One of our friends told us of something positive she did that did not use money. She put together small bags of soap, clean socks, small snacks, raisins, and packaged fruit to give when a homeless person solicits. So now Gayle can give something rather than just say no when approached by a homeless person.
Gayle also worked on her paper piecing quilt. GB went to a paper piecing quilt seminar last Saturday and this is what came out of the sewing room! Spectacular, eh?
I went on a bike ride with friend Verne from church. Verne keeps score for Alliance church Bible competitions that are held in Florida during the winter months. There was a competition in Punta Gorda on Saturday and I rode with him down US 17. We left at 7 AM and got to the Punta Gorda church about 9:45. I kept on going another 30 minutes to Ft. Myers to friends Bruce & Pam Stanley. We had a nice visit and then around noon I left; thought I'd check out the old neighborhood before going back north to join Verne. A flat tire precluded that idea. Bruce found a hand pump and the Yellow Pages, so I rode farther into town and ended up at a motorcycle shop. They said they could fix my tire, but I had to ride to another shop a couple of miles away to get the inner tube. Nearly 3 hours later I was on my way with a healed tire. The good thing in this was that I was able to get it fixed and I found out that the owner of the shop was a man I knew -- he had a daughter at Summit Christian when I was there! We had planned to be back in Orlando around 5 PM but we finally rolled home at 6:45 PM.
I put on about 350 miles in less than 12 hours. The ride was a true Florida weather day -- we started cool and cloudy, went through drizzle and fog, and had hot and humid afternoon in Ft. Myers. I saw a rainbow in the afternoon and gorgeous, spirit soaring sunset on the way home. A motorcycle ride can be like smell-o-vision as you go down the road; I understand why dogs ride with their heads out the window! Near Haines City there was the old burned smell of a brush fire. We smelled orange blossoms as we went by citrus groves, and in Bartow there was the strong juice and pulp smell of a citrus processing plant. The earthy, muzzy smell of cattle -- lots of cattle -- for miles along the road south of Arcadia thanks to the Ben Hill Griffin cattle ranches. The smell of warm rain on the asphalt, diesel truck exhaust, and the yeasty bread smell of the Merita Bread plant as we came off the interstate into familiar south Orlando territory.
A friend at church said that he was going to ask how the trip went, but when he heard of my flat tire, he knew it was not good. I disagreed with him. I refuse to let an inconvenience like a flat tire define the whole day. Yes, I would rather have spent the 3 hours doing something else. Seeing God's serendipity -- Bruce Stanley helping me, meeting a former student's dad, getting the tire fixed on a Saturday afternoon -- brought a different perspective to the day. I know that I am not in control of most things in my life and I'm comfortable with that. Fun, and joy, are there for us. My duty is to control my attitude and then enjoy the ride!

4 comments:

MLE said...

Sounds like a wonderful experience, flat tire and all! You must promise that I can have a ride next time I'm in town -- I want some smell-o-vision beauty too!

Gayle and Rob said...

You're on!

Katie said...

I like the new quilt, mom. How big is it?

Gayle and Rob said...

It's just 36 by 36 - wallhanging size and I think the colors will go well in the living room.