Sunday, February 17, 2008

Home Project Theorems

After talking with Em twice in two days about sink drain problems, I thought I should share what I've learned about home projects over the past 35 years. So here goes...
1. There will be surprises.
2. Every project will test my creativity, persistence, stamina, and patience. Not necessarily in that order.
3. Plumbing projects take 3 trips to the hardware store. Minimum. If you do get done in less than 3, dance in the street.
4. When you're in over your head, know which friend to call.
5. The learning curve can be steep.
6. While planning for the cost of a project, add 10% -- and then cross your fingers.
7. A new project is a good reason to get another tool.
8. Measure twice, check once more, then cut.
9. I don't pay myself by the hour; slow and careful is OK. I still have all my fingers...knuckles have taken a beating, however.
10. God blesses good stewardship.

If you can think of more, let me know!

3 comments:

MLE said...

I would also add: crying DOES help. Maybe not to get it fixed, but it sure makes you feel better!

Also, and I don't mean this to sound pathetic or ask for sympathy (it is what it is): sometimes it's nice to have a man around. They just respond to situations a little differently. Even if they don't know any more than a girl does, they will still approach it from a different (less emotional) angle.

Katie said...

Alec is at Home Depot right now buying stuff to fix our leaky bathroom sink. Beth, do you have a leaky sink yet?

B said...

Nope! Haven't had to deal with that one yet! But I did have a leaky sprinkler. I think that one took 4 trips to Home Depot! Here's another one Dad - books and the internet can be very helpful.