Sunday, November 11, 2007

Our World Is a Little Flatter

This was on the plastic bag that held our Sunday paper today. People will be allowed to begin lining up at the door at 9 AM on Monday -- prizes for the first 2,500 in the door, etc, etc, etc. The Orlando Sentinel had a hilarious article by columnist Mike Thomas on the IKEA experience... check it out! The Big Blue Box is just south of the Mall at Millenia, which in itself is a ginormous place. I'm guessing that the traffic will be truly awful for the next few weeks, and then get really bad once the Christmas season gets rolling. That's in comparison to the normal Orlando traffic of "We've been waiting to turn left for 3 lights; how many CD's did you bring along?" Mike's column is:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/columnists/orl-miket1107nov11,0,39259.column

We had our annual walk-a-thon at TCS this past Friday. The kids raised over $38,500 for the school! The weather was as nice as we've seen it on a walk-a-thon day, with temps in the 60's. Cool! Another really nice thing about the day is that the kids went home after lunch, so we teachers had a fine afternoon for planning and prep. Really cool!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, visiting Ikea was pretty fun when Raleen and I were preparing to move in September. I got a double bed frame there, and a new desk...both very reasonably priced. And they look nice too! The only problems we had were a piece or two of hardware missing...thankfully inconsequential pieces that didn't impact being able to put the thing together...but I guess ya gotta watch out for that quality control :) There's actually 2 Ikeas within 30-45 mins of where we live...and I don't get all that excited about home furnishings, but that store can be dangerous :)

MLE said...

Very funny column, but I admit to being a huge IKEA fan. I want the POANG chair at some point! I have the KLIPPEN footstool! And a chair that I can't pronounce! And I always go so that I can eat a meal there -- Katie would agree that you can't beat the price of the lunch or breakfast specials! Say what you like, but I'm glad the Swedes have arrived in America!