Sunday, October 22, 2006

What just happened?

Tuesday afternoon I was coming home from school just after 4 PM. As I was pulling into our driveway, I noticed a car backing up away from me, heading east on Mystic Point. He was moving backwards quickly so I stopped in my driveway to watch. I watched him back into a parked Nissan Sentra! Wham! Crunch! He got out (me still watching), looked at the back end of his car, and the back end of the Sentra. He got back in his car, and I thought that he was getting some paper and a pencil to leave a note. But this is 2006, Orlando, and he -- apparently -- an irresponsible teen-ager. He continued backing his car around the Sentra and down the street. I called 911 to report what I'd seen. I was asked, "Did you get the car's tag number?" Duh! I told you he was backing away the whole time...Florida only has one license plate, and it's on the back of the car, the end that was away from me!!!

So I was getting some donuts at the neighborhood Dunkin Donuts Saturday morning -- work day scheduled for the homeowners' association members to clean the cabana / pool area. I ordered a dozen glazed from the woman at the counter and she started to ring up my purchase. She looked at me and asked, "Are you 55?" I was nonplussed; no one had ever asked me that before. I had to think...when was I born? I finally figured out that yes, I was that old and stammered out a yes. I got a 10% senior citizen's discount! I liked saving 70 cents; not sure how I feel about the senior citizen thing. Gayle and I ate the donuts; only one other person showed up to clean.

Saturday evening we had a church social / supper at George & Linda Bruneau's condo. We had 12 people there, just right for good food and fellowship. The best part was that Pat's husband Steve came with her. Pat has been in a women's Bible study with Gayle for more than a year. Steve has been church shy but on many people's prayer radar. We had a great time. Steve hit it off well with Pastor Don; they both had grown up in Orlando and knew the same schools and many of the same people. And there Steve was this morning -- in church with his wife Pat! I talked with Steve for a while as we put the furniture of the cafetorium back in place after church. He enjoyed the service, told me how much he enjoyed Saturday evening, and said he'd be back.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have to go to Winkflash and join. You don't have to post your own pictures tho that would be great. Then you have to tell me and I'll include your email on my contacts and make you a "friend" that I can share pictures with.

B said...

Police aren't the only ones who ask dumb questions. The other night my EMT friend got called to a COR (aka Dead Person). The firefighter calls in to dispatch - "We've knocked on the door but nobody's answering. Are you sure this is the right address?" Duh. Ian then proceeded to kick in the door to find the guy unresponsive with the phone still in his hand. Again I say, DUH.

bob said...

ha ha, you're old.

:)

Katie said...

Hooray for Steve! Our neighbors came to our church a few weeks ago and said they would come back. We expected them yesterday but didn't se them - at least it's progress.

MLE said...

Horray for other people than me hitting cars.

Lynda said...

Sorry - just can't think of you as a Senior Citizen. More power to you if you can get cheap donuts, but still...

Remind me to let you pay at Pizza Hut next time you're here. Dad says they have a great Senior Discount. In fact, you should check with the old Dutchman about ALL the possible discounts that come as privilege with the aging process! He knows them all.

Lynda

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the DUH! thoughts - mine just happen to be directed towards the phone company right now ;) And Gayle, yes, that is Kristen Berenschot in that wedding picture. She did go to Trinity and was a year ahead of me at SCS. She actually lived with Mandie and Colleen one year, two of MY good friends - funny how paths cross like that :) She's a special ed. teacher at a school somewhere in IL near the WI border. Her sister is my sister's best friend...love how it all works out ;)

Shirley & Paul said...

PTL about Steve and that he felt a bond with the people at your church.
Keep praying!

Anonymous said...

Just read Katie's latest post...a granddaughter?! How exciting...gotta get me one of those one of these days.