Sunday, September 16, 2007

Bromeliads

It was past time to switch out some of my bromeliads - several of the ones inside needed to go outside again. I took several pictures of a couple of my favorites.



This one is my all time favorite bromeliad. It is a Billbergia 'Hallelujah'. The mottled cream spots on glossy dark green leaves which can be tinged with pink give an idea of why it got its name! I got this as a bare root little cutting from Tropiflora a few years ago and it has pupped regularly since. As if the leaf coloration isn't spectacular enough, this ridiculously wonderful inflorescence in red, white, & blue comes popping out. It first shows a red sheath and then there is this amazing and patriotic display for a few days.









































This cryptanthus is Fosterianus 'Elaine'. I love the markings and coloration on the leaves. There are 5 or 6 pups in this 8" pot.

1 comment:

B said...

WOW! Those look great! I'm just glad 3 of the 4 I got are sill alive! Although 2 of them have pups, I'm just not sure how to separate them. You'll have to show me at Christmas!