Saturday, August 04, 2007

I Don't Bake Bread

Gayle and I spent the afternoon giving our bromeliads some much needed attention. We cleaned the debris out from the leaves and split apart eight plants. In two cases we got three pots out of one crowded plant...love those pups! GB now has bromeliad plant lover's hands to go with her quilter's fingers -- the rough edges of the leaves chewed on us pretty good. The fun part is that I'm giving 11 plants away. I get plastic pots and potting soil from Home Depot and then share my hobby with others. One of these week-ends we're going back to Sarasota and Tropiflora for more bromeliads; I've got a $150 gift certificate from last year's 5th graders winking at me.
I brought three neoregelias into the kitchen. I like their names. The one on the right is 'Hannibal Lecter' #3 'The Governor's Plea'. The plant's hybridizer, Chester Skotak, apparently is a fan of Thomas Harris books. It has wonderful leaf color and really nasty teeth along the leaf margins, which perhaps is how he came to name it. The middle neo is called 'Angel Face' and has a great red blush in the middle of bright green leaves. The neo on the left is my second favorite, called 'Perfection'. The leaves are variegated, light and dark green, and have a deep red tint toward the center of the plant.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I don't get it. I'm sure I should, but I'm feeling dull. What does bread have to do with bromeliads?

Looks like dad owes mom a manicure/hand massage.

Gayle and Rob said...

OK, that was a bit obscure...Some churches have a "bread ministry" where people go out to those who have visited the church with a loaf of bread, say thank you for visiting, and invite them back. I don't bake bread but I do what I can, which is giving away my bromeliad pups to friends and neighbors. And about the hands -- no manicure yet but I did give her a foot massage this afternoon.

B said...

The broms I bought this winter are doing well - except the little one I had in my room didn't get enough light and ended up all mushy and dead. Oops! Maybe Dad can bring me a new one at Christmas... :) And those floors look great! I'm glad I could inspire with the work we did last summer! (kidding.)

Katie said...

Thanks for the explanation, Dad. I don't feel so dull now.