Friday, May 25, 2007

School Is Out!

My fifth grade room is closed up - the kids are gone, the walls are bare, and the desks are stacked. My end of the year To Do list is checked off. I helped Gayle for a while this morning. She has a great mound of materials to be moved up to the third floor third grade room, but that has to wait until the current teacher has cleared her materials out.

I'm a little sad this year. I liked my fifth graders, they worked hard, didn't quit, and even professed to appreciate my puns. At least that's what I got out of one comment: "I didn't think your puns were that bad." I truly enjoyed the routine of the year and feel somewhat at a loss now that vacation has begun. God affirmed strongly that we are right where we need to be - teaching at The Christ School in downtown Orlando. I am looking forward to the challenges that next year's class will bring, and I'm already aware of a few of them...by name!

I know that this feeling will change as we begin our vacation in a couple of days. I am looking forward to the travel (gas prices are coming down!) and seeing all of the kids and grandkids in the space of two weeks. I have our pastor's 15 year old son taking care of the yard while we're gone, so that's a great relief. I know he will do a good job. And I'm looking forward to doing some interior painting when we get back home. We may even put down some new flooring while we're at it!

2 comments:

Shirley & Paul said...

R&G, another school year passed...good feeling, and maybe a little relief. (I can relate.....however those memories are becoming more distant!! And what about this message of moving Gayle's stuff up to the Third Grade room?? Is she moving to Third grade also?

Lynda said...

Will you be coming close enough to make a stop in WV? We'd love to see you!