Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Weekend for Hobbies



So Beth and I got up Saturday -- much earlier than B wanted to -- and drove to Sarasota for the semi-annual sensory overload at Tropiflora. 40,000 square feet of bromeliads under net! That is the largest of about a dozen greenhouses for bromeliads and orchids. I think I had a smile on my face the whole time we were there. I bought a neoregelia named Hannibal Lector #3 'The Governor's Plea'. The man who developed this strain of bromeliad apparently likes a certain type of horror movie. Our fav for the day (and one I did not buy) was a neoregelia named Norman Bates which sold for a cool $50 / plant. Now that's a horror story!
The best part for me was to see Beth order a few bromeliads for shipment to Denver later in March...
On our way back, we stopped at a cigar company in Tampa. Tampa is known for expatriate Cubans who have developed a thriving industry in Tampa and Ybor City rolling cigars. It was interesting, but I didn't buy any. $7 for a single cigar (and some were as high as $20 EACH!) was too much.

Gayle finished her class quilt today. This is the quilt project that she will donate to The Christ School Mane Event auction & dinner on March 3. As you can see, she is happy and relieved to be done! The lion is the TCS mascot. Gayle put pictures of her 16 students and each student's handprint as a border around the quilt. Several moms have already let it be known that they have their eyes on the quilt. Gayle's quilts are a featured item of the live auction.

4 comments:

bob said...

hey mom! nice job figuring out the wiskers! it looks great!

Anonymous said...

The quilt looks wonderful! I so do not have the patience for quilting...but I can definitely appreciate the beauty of one someone else makes :)

Lynda said...

Rob and Gayle - I seem to have misplaced your email address, but want to let you know we will be coming through Orlando on Thursday, March 15. Any chance we can get together? We will be on our way from Vero Beach to Dublin, GA. We would also be interested in crashing in your guest room, if it is free that evening. (Nothing like inviting ourselves!) If the overnight isn't an option, maybe we could go get some dinner together that evening?
Lynda

Shirley & Paul said...

Hey you two, enjoyed your pictures of plants and art! Yes, Gayle you are an artist! One with much patience and dedication. I'm glad that I got to see it (the quilt) in person! It is still winter here.....so enjoy the sunshine!