Saturday, July 01, 2006

Vacation Lull

So we're in between trips...June saw a mission trip to West Virginia and a Katie/Alec/Luke week-end. July is the out West New Mexico/Kathy B & Colorado/Beth jaunt. These last two weeks at home have been precious -- GB working on her fabrics and some getting ready for the next school year. Gayle put together a really amazing quilt top with an Escher type tessellation and another with a complicated quilt hanging that even had a si pa pu. I've done some yard maintenance, trimmed back the plant growth, replaced some boards on the side fence. I've also got the new scanner humming and have scanned over 1,200 slides (149 MG) with about 1,500 more to digitalize...and then I can attack all of the negatives! Converting to a new medium is not for the faint of heart, but by the end of summer I will have the B's pictorial history on CD. We've enjoyed afternoon thundershowers, had Matt & Jill & Isaiah over for brunch (they're leaving for Asia in a couple of weeks), done some reading, and stayed up late and got up later.

Here are a few pictures of the June trip:
Here's the Illinois crew putting together meals for Food for Children. They did 18 cases (3,888 meals) in 2 hours...all going to Nicaragua. On the right, the house we worked on - scraping, painting, new soffit & fascia, & some porch roof work.



We were in a supervisory, stand beside role for much of the week. The afternoon VBS had us encouraging the team and doing some crowd control...



And, of course, a couple of pictures of our favorite Berwyn Heights people! Luke loves books and talks (jabbers) about the pictures. What a delightful visit!

This afternoon we hope to stand on our driveway and see the space shuttle launch, weather permitting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh wish I could see the launch in the sky...but alas, I will watch via online and tv, if I can sneak into the break room at work for a minute or two ;) Those VBS kid pics are precious (and the ones of Luke, too).

MLE said...

Nice to hear you have enjoyed some relaxation these past few days. Enjoy your trip out west and we'll compare details and pictures when we all get back. I'm almost packed and straining at the bit. I do need a scale though, as I would hate to be "overweigtht" as G-ma would say. However, I'm only taking what is specified on the trip specs, so I should be ok. Have fun!