Saturday, December 17, 2005

...And It's Vacation

We had a half-day of school yesterday. That meant a special chapel (half hour); the usual library time with a special book presentation by our librarian (half hour); a special math probability exercise with 4 pennies (half hour); cleaning desks (half hour); filling bags with necessities for Compassion Corner, the next-door mercy ministry to the homeless (half hour); a cookie exchange and class party (1 1/4 hours). Interesting note on the desk cleaning - one boy came up to me with a surprised look and the comment that he had found a paper from September! No wonder he couldn't fit his books in the desk. I also spent many minutes untangling kids' puzzles that I had given on Thursday as my present to them. I knew that these brain teasers would come back to bite me, so I gave them the puzzles a day early so I could undo the damage that many of them did trying to figure out how it came apart. It's also sort of payback...

Today I'm going to fix one of the Christmas presents that Gayle and I gave each other. We had ordered a folding teak octagonal table for the deck in early November so we could have it when the kids came at Christmas. It finally came the day after Thanksgiving, left in our entry while we were gone. The box was a mess, many large holes and retaped poorly. When I opened it, one of the legs was broken and the leg part completely missing. It took nearly two weeks to sort it out, but we were told that the shipping company did not want to pick it up, we could dispose of the table, and a new table would be shipped to us. The new table came Thursday. My project today is to dispose of the old table by repairing the leg. One of the definitions of dispose is "to put into correct form." Works for me!

By the way, Bob the Christmas Rabbit is home...

5 comments:

Katie said...

What a terrible joke. I can't even smile for that one, dad. Ew.

bob said...

All I have to say is at least I was awake during the movie, and the kisses helped keep me that way. The old man was sacked out for a good half of it...

MLE said...

What movie? And hey, I laughed. It took me a while, but I laughed. I'm feeling sleepy and rather slow on the draw this morning.

B said...

I'm still laughing. More at the reaction from the rest of you, but laughter none the less.

Gayle and Rob said...

Yeehaw! I got all 4 of my kids to respond! It's a good day!